- Published on Thursday, 08 September 2011 15:36
- Hits: 1214
BISWA has taken up the initiative to build eco-friendly toilets for the first time in Orissa. A first-time Pilot Demonstration of the ECOSAN model is underway in Churali village of Puri district of Orissa. The ECOSAN toilet is a very advanced and modern way of constructing a toilet which is truly sustainable. The success of this intervention will be a demonstration at the policy level to include ECOSAN as a solution for coastal areas rather than creating unsustainable structures under government schemes and to inculcate a permanent behavioral change among the masses.
The main objective behind is:
- To avoid contamination of ground water.
- To avoid pollution of air, water, and soil.
- To recover nutrients from human excreta and safely recycle them back to the environment as fertilizers
- Does not pollute water
- Improves environmental sanitation by converting faces to manure
- Uses less water than other toilets
- Human waste is safely disposed off
- Produces highly useful compost
- Village Orientation and Sensitization Meeting
- Hygiene Training
- Environmental Awareness
- Mason Training
- Formation of Community based organizations
- Technical know-how
- Research and Development